Friday, September 12, 2008

Honey....you're old !

Todd has always loved soccer. He played from 5 years old all the way through high school. When we were dating our senior year, Shantel and I would go watch his AYSO evening games. (We enjoyed the evening games because Todd's team wore white shorts, and with the lights shining behind them there was no need to ask them,"boxers or briefs?"....)Naughty girls!
Anyways, Todd has tried to pass his love of soccer onto our kids. He has coached both boys teams for the last 4 years and has been itching to play himself. Our friend Ken Putnam has been playing in a co-ed indoor soccer league and invited Todd to try it out.
Todd has been so pumped and excited to go play. Last week was his first game, and he learned that he's not quite as swift and agile hauling an extra 50 lbs. around. So this week he went mountain bike riding a couple of times and has been stretching more tryng to build up his endurance and get his game back. So this Thursday's game rolls around and he's feeling a little more confident. He's out there, he's feeling good. 4 minutes into the game, playing defense, he was in pursuit of cutting off a through pass. Todd put all he had into it and cleared the ball only to hear a "pop" along with agonizing pain shooting through his leg. He pulled his hamstring. Poor Todd. Honey, I'm sorry, but you're old. You might need a little more than a couple bike rides to get back into shape....just a thought.

2 comments:

pogonip said...

"Pop" is not a good soccer sound.

adairfamily said...

Oh poor Todd, I totally understand, well kinda. Now that I am packing around the extra weight I feel so retarded. We had a birthing class on Saturday and we did a lot of on the floor back up off the floor birthing exercises and somewhere in the afternoon I pulled something in my back so I have been doing a funny walk for the past 2 days. It sucks to get old. But your a guy so if you exercise more the weight will just come off. i hope this doesn't mean that you are done for the rest of the season? Take care of yourself boy!