Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Maddie Update #2- The Little Stinker! No,really, P U!

The Friday night before Mother's Day we went to an auction/dinner fundraiser at church that the girls of the ward did to raise money for Girl's Camp. At one point during the evening, Maddie came and sat on my lap. I leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek when I was suddenly ambushed by the most hideous smell! Maddie's face stunk! The only way to describe the horrid odor is to say it smelled like butt. Sorry, but that's the only way to truly get across the foulness of it! I immediately pulled out baby wipes and started wiping down her face and hands. My first thought was, "where have her hands been?!" I know, disgusting, right?!

OK now cut to Sunday, Mother's Day. We've eaten a fabulous dinner cooked by the men and Cousin Amber, and all of us moms were lounging on the couch waiting to be served our dessert. (Jealous?) Maddie came bouncing in the room, plopped down between my mom amd I, and gave me an eskimo kiss...I nearly lost my dinner! Her face stunk-AGAIN! So gross! So of course I sent her from person to person and told them to smell her face. I don't know why, but not everyone wanted to join in the smelling game. Those that did participate did indeed agree that the girl had definite stench issues! After smelling and discussing, we came to the conclusion that maybe it was Maddie's nose healing. I talked to the Dr. the next day, and his answer when I asked him about the smell was, "That's great news!" Umm really Dr., not so great! He said that was a step in the healing process. It just keeps getting better!

So we went and saw the Dr. yesterday, and he said there is definitely a hole all the way thru in the septum. The smell was dead tissue, and he was kind enough to clean that out, so I might let my daughter come within 3 feet of me now. :) Good news though- she will not need reconstructive surgery! Woohoo! She will just have a perforated septum, no big deal. There's a slight chance she'll need surgery in the future, but that wouldn't be for many, many years down the line. Thank goodness!He'll keep checking on the healing process monthly for a while. So, another chapter in our lives comes to an end!

1 comment:

Gramma Linda said...

While I was chuckling while reading this and at the same time hoping Maddie is ok I got to the bottom and felt relieved. Jen, you are too funny! I'm so happy that Maddie is fine!